So, I’ve had the game a week now. I’ve dug around a bit and I’m really enjoying it so far. That’s not to say that I haven’t noticed a few things that are a little similar to old ground. On the whole, though, loading it up feels like putting on your favourite pair of comfortable trainers. I’m not sure that’s the quote that they’d want for the poster, but I hope the sentiment is clear. Here are a few thoughts –
- The Nexus – this iteration’s version of the Citadel. I was confused a little by the tram system at first but apparently I’m not the only one. It even looks like the Citadel. Even the people on board say that it’s meant to be the new Citadel. I suppose if Star Wars is going to have Death Stars popping up in every film, then why can’t we just have a reworking of the Citadel?
- The Tempest – I got my new ship. the design is very Normandy-esque but the interior has a lovely design that makes me think of people hot-desking at Google headquarters for some reason. It’s all very open plan and hip looking. It’s quite difficult to find your way around when you first go onboard. I think that’s largely due to all the floor-to-ceiling windows. Because we were in the docking bay and it was light outside, I kept thinking I’d wandered out into the open. In space, it feels better.
- Bits on the side – I knew as soon as I saw the dude in the cell that it was a side mission waiting to happen. Sure enough, his wife or whoever sidles up next to me while I’m trying to look at datapads and asks me to help get him out because I’m the first human Sp.. sorry, because I’m the new Pathfinder. Cue looking at video evidence. There was also the sabotage mission. I let the guy go. It’s always handy running into a person who owes you big time like that when you’re hunting down some space cult or other later on in the game.
- Familiar opening. Is it me, or were there some unquestionable similarities between the start of this and the start of the original game? I’m on some planet that’s meant to be nice but is actually in the middle of some nasty upheaval, I go near some alien tech that nearly kills me and when I wake up I have some new information and abilities inside me. Also, some rock-headed alien tries to access the same alien tech, fails and is incredibly annoyed about it. Oh well. it was still entertaining.
- Nice continuity – Great to hear Liara’s voice on the data recordings in Alec’s quearters.
- Salarians, man! I hope the pilot’s an alright one, like Mordin. I miss Mordin. I didn’t kill him, just so we’re clear. I can’t believe even 3% of people did that.
- Multiplayer – I’m loving the Multiplayer section and Strike Team elements. I really miss my N7 Shadow though with its backstabbing power and Electric Slash. Bonus though – as a loyalty perk for playing ME3, I got a Reegar Carbine right out of the gate. Nice!
- Surveying – launch probe, launching probe! I’m a little unsure about using the research tech stuff and how to use it. I’ll have to spend some more time looking into that.
OK, that’s it for now. Like I said, I’m really enjoying being back in the Mass Effect Universe. Even if some of it feels like familiar ground, it looks beautiful and plays really well.
Check out my previous thoughts here.
Thanks for reading,